What qualifications do you need to be an insurance agent?

Submitted by Quenlin on Fri, 12/14/2007 - 05:44

Can someone explain what the process is to become one? I'm considering taking up a career in it.

Posted: 02 May 2008 09:08 Post Subject:

Basically to become an agent:

First: You have to decide what lines of insurance you want to sell.

Second: you have to take state approved pre-licensing classes for the types you wish to sell.

Third: You have to pass the state exams for the lines you wish to sell.

Fourth: You have to get appointed in your state with the insurance carriers you wish to have product lines through.
This can done through a captive agency, an FMO/IMO, or sometimes directly from the insurance carrier.

That is the easy part...


Posted: 05 Jun 2008 05:07 Post Subject:

I think beatuplunchbox have already said it all. Just follow those steps. Good luck your insurance career. Hope you can help many people for their financial needs.

Posted: 19 Jun 2010 01:21 Post Subject:

How I could report a insurance office that the agents are not license

Posted: 20 Jun 2010 01:26 Post Subject:

contact your states dept of insurance. They all have websites.

Posted: 17 Jul 2010 09:09 Post Subject: Can you?

Can you be an insurance agent if you have a felony?

Posted: 18 Jul 2010 11:40 Post Subject:

you can be a geco or "flo's" dog and do the job us agents do. LOL

Posted: 22 Jul 2010 04:43 Post Subject: Licensing

Oh yeah, You will also need fairly good credit as for all companies will do a credit check on you before appointing you to sell their products!

Posted: 11 Aug 2010 06:02 Post Subject: unsure of area to pursue

Hi all, I am considering getting my license in life , health , and variable annutiy. I have taken my certification and also worked as a temp licensed agent for lib nat. Now I am thinking of getting my agent license. The only thing is i may wish to pursue a different area such as property & casualty. My question is can I do both or would I have to choose one or the other? Also should I start where I left off w/ life ,health and annuities or should I go for the other license.? I also like the idea of auto insurance, but I wish to choose the area of less charge back until I get well versed in the industry. If anyone is available to answer my questions, I would be greatful. I am 30 looking for a career and so far I like and am good w/ Insurance issues. Still have alot to learn.
P.S. Hungary for success! :? :D

Posted: 11 Aug 2010 05:37 Post Subject:

You can definitely do all of the above. As a matter of fact, if you dont you are missing out on a lot of opportunities.

The licensing requirements do still vary somewhat from state to state, so you should likely consult your state's Department of Insurance for the licensing requirements for P & C. But. typically the P & C license is an additional license and will not replace what you already have.

The P & C side of the business can provide a lot of stability due to the ability to build substantial renewals.

Posted: 24 Sep 2011 04:36 Post Subject: bad credit

If you have very poor credit and have passed your exams is there a job for you in the insurance industry until you get your credit repaired?

Posted: 25 Sep 2011 02:51 Post Subject:

There are some companies that might not hire you, but you should not experience too much of that.

Posted: 03 Jan 2012 05:02 Post Subject:

can u become an agent if you have a felony that is about to get exponged?

Posted: 03 Jan 2012 08:00 Post Subject:

Any felony conviction is a reportable "event" in an application for an insurance producer's license. Whether it impairs your ability to be licensed is up to the insurance regulator in your state.

A federal law known as the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act (18 U.S.C. 1033, 1034) describes the kind of offenses intended to bar certain felons from the financial services arena. Generally, a felony conviction for money or property crimes is in the category that is defined as prohibited without a "Consent Waiver."

Each case is reviewed separately, and a determination is made. If your conviction occurred any time within the past 5 years, don't even think of applying for a license in any state until after at least 5 years have gone by.

Only if a felony conviction is overturned on appeal might you be able to apply sooner. Expungement is not the same thing.

Posted: 26 Jan 2012 03:37 Post Subject: credit

Will Farmers Insurance hire you if you have bad credit?

Posted: 14 Feb 2012 10:26 Post Subject:

To become a insurance agents is a fantastic job. One should clear the exams conducted by the insurance governing body, they can easily become the agents.

Posted: 25 Jun 2012 05:10 Post Subject:

Would you need to take the test again at a later time?

Posted: 22 May 2013 06:18 Post Subject: Bad Credut

I am attempting to be a Allstate agent. I have had a bankruptcy in the last year. How much of an issue will that be?

Posted: 29 May 2013 04:43 Post Subject:

According to the American Association for Justice, Allstate still sits atop the list of the 10 Worst Insurance Companies in America.

Although I could be wrong, I doubt they'll have much of a problem with your bankruptcy.

Posted: 11 Mar 2015 08:13 Post Subject:

what qualifications do I need to become a auto insurer :?:

Posted: 21 Mar 2016 09:57 Post Subject:

If I were to pursue a career as an insurance agent, is it alright to go independent right away, or should i start captive first?


Posted: 21 Mar 2016 01:30 Post Subject:

is it alright to go independent right away, or should i start captive first?

What do you know about insurance today? Do you think being licensed is all there is to this business? What sales experience and training do you have?

Posted: 23 Mar 2016 07:24 Post Subject:

What do you know about insurance today? Do you think being licensed is all there is to this business? What sales experience and training do you have?

Hi, I have experience in sales and marketing but not in insurance. However, I'm planning a career in financial services especially insurance. What I know about insurance is about getting coverage for future use or future life events, but that's about it. I know there is more to that, so that's why I am here. I'd appreciate it if you could offer any sort of help.

Thank you. [/code]

Posted: 24 Jan 2017 05:55 Post Subject: Felony

Can you be licensed if you have a felony for DUI. Or do you have to wait at least 5 years?

Posted: 26 Feb 2017 02:19 Post Subject: JxyphxqqGPnHRUZ

I secrehad a bunch of sites and this was the best.

Add new comment

Restricted HTML

  • Allowed HTML tags: <a href hreflang> <em> <strong> <cite> <blockquote cite> <code> <ul type> <ol start type> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd> <h2 id> <h3 id> <h4 id> <h5 id> <h6 id>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.