Could my son be paid for my car mishap !

by Guest » Fri Oct 06, 2006 06:18 am

My Car was speeding across and before it could turn to a halt, it suddenly jumped out at the parking lot and damaged both my daughter's car as well as my son's car. Now, my son stays with me even after my daughter moved out since her marriage. Could this lead to any refusal on the part of the insurance company towards reimbursing my son's damages ?

Total Comments: 3

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 07:04 am Post Subject: not your auto-liability..

You're quite right in guessing that nobody's personal car can be covered under his own auto-liability insurance !
Your son's car in this case would be treated likewise your own...till he is staying with you. However since your daughter has a different household now...your insurer could be obliged to pay her in case she maintained a separate policy !
thanx a lot buddy ! Bonafide606

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 07:40 am Post Subject:

hey there, this is sheerly a case of household exclusion. It is quite natural for the insurance company to view your children and their property. The mandatory liability coverage that you're talking about is designed to cover your family members from against any claims which have been forwarded by outsiders who are not a member of your household.

This coverage acts very much the same way like that of any homeowners' policy or any liability insurance that any of your family members may have possessed !

Hence, its easily seen that the household exclusion would be pretty much applicable on your son since he had been a member of the household when this mishap took place.
Sasha T.

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 08:12 am Post Subject:

Its so foolish my dear!
Do you expect to file a claim with your insurer against yourself incase your pet doggy bites a member of your family ????
Rest assured, that under such a circumstance a medical bill claim can only be forwarded under your liability homeowner's policy if the victim doesn't belong to your household.

Now, if the victim is not agreeing towards the amount of compensation it could be decided at the court of law. So in your case too I'm sure you should be heading towards the court. What else do you think ?


Add your comment

Enter the characters shown in the image.