What does a standard homeowners policy exclude?

Submitted by joven222 on Tue, 01/13/2009 - 16:54
A standard homeowners policy excludes the following:
  • Flood: Flood is not covered under a standard homeowners policy. It is covered under a separate policy provided by the Federal government under the National Flood Insurance Program - NFIP through a few private insurance companies. The NFIP policy covers replacement cost coverage for the entire structure of your home and actual cash value coverage for what you possess. However, furniture and possessions stored in basement may have limited coverage. Residents of designated flood zone will need flood insurance. This insurance is available to renters and homeowners.

    Some private insurance companies may provide excess flood insurance coverage over the basic policy. You may purchase it from specialized companies or from regular homeowners insurance providers too. This policy will cover damages beyond the limits of the federal program based on replacement cost for structure and actual cash value for possessions. The excess flood insurance can be availed in any part of US - both in high risk zones as well as low risk zones in compliance with the federal program.

  • Earthquake: Damages due to earthquake too can be covered under a separate policy or as an endorsement to your renters or homeowners policy. Almost all insurance companies offer this policy. The California Earthquake Authority offers this policy in the earthquake prone state of California. However, the policy is offered with high deductible in this state.

  • Maintenance damage: Damage caused as a result of lack of maintenance, mold, and infestation of termite or other insects is not covered under this policy.


I bought a house and I am just curious if what is the most practical coverage I can buy as a property insurance. Do i really need to have fire, earthquake flood, and any other? Or there are something that you can recommend that is practical enough to save me money.


Posted: 13 Jan 2009 11:54 Post Subject:

Fire coverage is included in a homeowners policy. As far as earthquake insurance... do you live on a fault line? Well, if you did, you'd probably not be able to get earthquake insurance. No one can really "recommend" anything without knowing details about yourself, your location, your home, etc. This is why agents sell insurance, to advise you on such matters. So my recommendation is that you speak to an agent.

But... you bought a home and you don't already have insurance? There is no was anyone is going to loan you money to buy a home with insurance. Perhaps you paid cash?

Lastly, your signature is to a site that sells insurance... and you want to know where/how to buy property insurance? According to their website, they are all about saving people money. Again, this is _your_ sig!

Posted: 14 Jan 2009 12:28 Post Subject:

I would be more than happy to submit a reply to your question, but it appears that you may be an insurance agent.

Is that correct?

Posted: 14 Jan 2009 05:29 Post Subject:

Do i really need to have fire, earthquake flood, and any other?

If you are living in the flood and/or earthquake zone then definitely you need to buy coverage for these perils. Standard HO plans don't cover damages caused by flood and earthquake.

FIRM or the Flood Insurance Rate Maps describes flood prone areas. You can find out from it whether or not you are living in one such locality.

Additionally, the homeowner should also carry the Homeowners liability coverage to safeguard his/her interests against the probable lawsuits if someone gets injuries in his/her premises.

Hope this helps.


Posted: 16 Jan 2009 11:33 Post Subject:

Do i really need to have fire, earthquake flood, and any other?

It is your choice whether you want to purchase a particular insurance or not as long as it is not auto insurance. However, if you live in an earthquake prone zone you may face an earthquake. If you stay in a flood prone zone there too is a risk that you might face a flood. The effects of flood and earthquake can be devastating. If you want to protect yourself from the huge expenses that you have to make if disaster strikes, getting these two insurance would definitely be of help. Your general home insurance will not cover any devastation due to flood and earthquake. Hope I could help :)

Posted: 03 Jun 2011 01:12 Post Subject: CVxtvpBYGaByFQrMqr

Your awnser was just what I needed. ItÂ’s made my day!

Posted: 21 Oct 2011 12:07 Post Subject:

Is there any sort of home insurance policy that covers "maintenance damage"? I would have thought this was excluded across the board as failure of the insured to take reasonable precautions to prevent loss?

Is it possible to add these sorts of preils to a standard policy, or do you need to take out a more comprehensive form of cover which bundles some or all of them together?

Link removed as per TOU

Posted: 25 Oct 2011 07:41 Post Subject:

I don't think any standard home insurance policy covers 'maintenance damages' or even any riders are available to cover these.

Normal wear and tear and lack of maintenance is not covered by any insurance (that's what I know).

Posted: 09 Nov 2011 08:20 Post Subject: What is a Covered Property?

Hi all.

What is a Covered Property?

Generally, covered properties are divided into four separate categories. The definitions of the property, and the extent of coverage vary by state, company and product. So it is important for the consumer to understand the definitions of the covered property. The four separate categories for your home, as defined by insurance companies, are:

1. Dwelling – The structure of the house is considered a covered property.

2. Other Structures – These are structures that are separate from the house, or connected to the house by a fence, wire or other form of connection, but not otherwise attached to the dwelling, such as a tool shed or detached garage.

3. Personal Property – The contents of your home are your personal property. This includes furniture, appliances and clothing. Not all personal property is covered. Items more appropriately covered under different forms of insurance may have limited or no coverage for loss. These items include, but are not limited to, money, jewelry and firearms.

4. Loss of Use – When a loss occurs due to a covered peril and the dwelling becomes uninhabitable, the cost of additional living expenses is covered. Reimbursement of additional living expenses covers the cost to the insured for maintaining a normal standard of living.

Polskie Kursy Safepass

Posted: 18 Jan 2012 09:32 Post Subject: home insurance

Hi Sil,

I just bought my new house 3 months a go. What is the best home insurance you can suggest to me? I will be needing an insurance soon.

Posted: 07 Dec 2012 08:28 Post Subject: Theft

Does home owners insurance usually exclude theft if it involves a family member?

Posted: 10 Dec 2012 07:01 Post Subject:

theft if it involves a family member

Someone living in the same household? Or some other relative? It could certainly make a difference. Someone living in the same household could be [construed as] an additional insured, and you cannot recover in such a case -- it would be like saying to the insurance company, "I stole my Rolex watch from my dresser drawer. Please pay the claim." They wouldn't.

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 01:02 Post Subject: stolen guns

We live in north carolina have homeowners with farm burea i was at my parents house overnite an somone broke in my suv an stole guns out of the back would homeowners cover that because i dont think my auto insurance will

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 03:07 Post Subject:

You have to read your policy to see what the limitation is on guns/rifles. Sometimes the loss is limited to as little as $200 -$500, which is pretty much meaningless unless the gun was for paintball fun. The loss should be covered, as long as there is a police report of the crime, up to the limits of the policy.

A word to the wise on this. Guns, cameras, computers, jewelry, fine art, china and crystal . . . these are all items which have only limited protection in a standard homeowner's policy. If your total potential loss in any one or more of these areas is significantly greater than $2000, you should consider adding a PERSONAL ARTICLES FLOATER or obtaining an INLAND MARINE policy with the higher limits you require. In exchange for your premiums, you will obtain coverage that also exceeds most of the exclusion in your HO policy, such as earth movement, flood, etc.

Posted: 19 Apr 2013 04:39 Post Subject: knee injury and broken bones in leg.

Approximately three weeks ago, I was riding my neighbor's mini- dirt bike at a high rate of speed, illegally down a residential street. I took the turn on the street too fast and I over-corrected and ended up in a bad spill in another neighbor's yard. My question is, "Can, I file a claim on the neighbor's homeowners Insurance, that owns the mini-dirt bike, even though I didn't have the accident in that neighbor's yard.

Posted: 19 Apr 2013 08:23 Post Subject:

Reckless in Vegas, homeowners insurance does not cover losses caused by a dirt bike accident so no, you can't file a claim against his homeowner's policy. You would need to file a claim(or he would) against the insurance policy covering the bike, which is usually a motorcylce policy but may also be an ATV, ORV, or Motorcross policy, depending on how the insurance company covers off-road motorcycles. DId you want to file a claim for injuries you sustained, damage to the bike, or damage to the neighbor's property?

If the bike is insured, you can file a claim for your injuries under the Medical Payments coverage, up to the limits of liability and usually coordinated with your health insurance. Damage to the bike would be covered under Collision coverage, but you may want to get an estimate for the cost of repairs before calling the insurance company or filing the claim because it may be cheaper to repair it yourself if it's less than the deductible and higher premium caused by the claim. However, since you admitted to be driving the bike illegally, recklessly, and negligently, the company may deny the claim. Most policies exclude losses occurring during unlawful acts or transportation.

For damage to the neighbor's property, they would have to file a claim on theirs and their insurance company will subrogate against the bike's insurance company for a property damage liability claim. The homeowner can sue you directly, in which case the bike policy should cover you for damages you're found legally liable to pay in court (or at settlement), up to the limits of the policy, plus legal fees and for lost wages while in court. Again, all assuming you had permission to drive the bike and recognizing that you admitted to driving the bike illegally, recklessly, and negligently the company may deny the claim.

If your friend doesn't have insurance or collision on the bike you're out of luck and unfortunately it's not legally required unless it's modified & licensed for road use, so many dirt bike owners don't have it.. If you have health insurance it should cover your injuries, but a homeowner's policy doesn't cover losses from dirt bike accidents. If you have any other questions you can PM or email me directly, or reply of course. Hope that answers your question.

Add new comment

Restricted HTML

  • Allowed HTML tags: <a href hreflang> <em> <strong> <cite> <blockquote cite> <code> <ul type> <ol start type> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd> <h2 id> <h3 id> <h4 id> <h5 id> <h6 id>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.