Just crashed with an uninsured motorist...what to do now?

by Guest » Thu Feb 08, 2007 05:07 am

Guys can you all tell me a bit about this Uninsured Motorist Coverage ? I've just met with an accident with an uninsured motorist and wondering what would be the right thing for me to do now !

Total Comments: 19

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 08:21 am Post Subject: Bodily!

hi I believe Uninsured Motorists Coverage is something that will come into play in case of a bodily injury only. Take care, Sasha

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 08:26 am Post Subject: check and fix

Hi yeah!
In the event of such an accident you should go ahead n contact your state's revenue dept. It controls all the laws associated with the financial burden of your state. They will cross check and fix the statute. Regards, Fatman.

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 09:02 am Post Subject:

hi, I think its hightime that you should let your insurer know abt this loss, especially if you're injured now. Crossbreed.

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 09:35 am Post Subject:

hey, I may only tell you that this form of insurance is all meant to get you a shield for covering against con artists and injuries (ie. injuries suffered inside your car or say when you were walking down the road and got hit by any uninsured driver). all d best! PenelopeLRuth

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:10 am Post Subject:

Hi all..just thought its better to remind that its never gonna cover any damages inflicted on your vehicle. Martha Garcia

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 02:16 pm Post Subject:

Actually many of the post could be 100% incorrect.

There are two flavors of UM coverage... Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury (offered in many states and only address injuries) and Uninsured Motorist Property Damage. yes, UMPD does exist in several states (one that comes to mind is SC) but not many. You need to report your accident to your own carrier and have then determine the coverage you have available for this loss.

Most people/states don't have UMPD as it's almost always redundent due to collision coverage. If you have collision coverage, it addresses the damage to your vehicle regardless of fault.

If the other person truely does not have insurance and it's required, this does not mean they won't be held responsible. Many states do the right thing and inforce their own insurance laws. Many states will suspend drives licenses until the at fault party can prove they settled the loss. I'm hoping a police report was filed. if not, file a delayed report for the reason that the other person does not have insurance and it's required (some states won't take a report for minor property damage but they should take one if one person does not have insurance). You then may want to provide this info to your state so that they can take action (and to assist in getting this idiot off the road so no one else has to go through what you're going through). Of course, any other way you want to handle this loss is up to you.

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 05:40 pm Post Subject: Uninsured motorist coverage

I think this Uninsured Motorist Coverage
protects you when the at-fault driver has the required minimum amount of insurance or more, but his or her liability limits are not sufficient to pay for your injuries and damages.

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 06:55 am Post Subject:

tcope...you hit the nail on the head....you did a great job at explaining it!

Claude you should def contact your insurance company (as we do not know what state you live in) they can advise you best and yes you def need to file a police report if you have not done so.

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 06:30 am Post Subject: Thanks

Hi...Its real good to see all you people participating at once..especially tcope & nique1221!
Thanks, Lakemen

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 03:24 pm Post Subject: UM - Now what?

I have State Farm in Texas with Uninsured Motorist Coverage on my policy. A UM hit my car about a month ago while we were stopped in traffic. Their hit to my rear sent my car into the car in front of me - so my car has front and rear end damage. Police report and the insurance company of car I consequently hit say it is the person behind me who is at fault for all 3 cars being damaged. Person behind me doesn't have insurance, nor driver's license and was given citation for that at accident scene. My insurance will pay for repairs, but I have to eat the deductible until I can collect it from person who hit me. What is best method of doing this - small claims court, letters in mail - and how much would one generally seek? I went to rehab for my neck 3 days after accident and x-rays reviled a lot that happened since I was hit on front and back and car behind me was going about 45MPH.

Add your comment

Enter the characters shown in the image.