What is a FEIN number?
How to apply for FEIN?
You may collect an SS-4 Form from the office of IRS or the Social Security Office, fill it out and send it to the office of IRS. There is no application fee. Make sure you send it through registered post to guarantee the safe delivery of your form. You can download PDF version of IRS SS-4 form from here.
IRS has launched their interview style application for FEIN where they ask you certain questions online and update their system based on the information that you provide them. There is no form to fill out and there is no lengthy process of waiting for the Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) either. If you are using their system of interview style application:
- You don't need to fill out an SS-4 form and send it to the IRS office anymore
- You don't have to get into the lengthy process of application for FEIN
- You must answer the online questionnaire provided by them
- IRS will then validate the data that you have provided
- You will receive your EIN number immediately after successful verification
IRS allows you to make an online application.
How to find FEIN number?
- For public companies you may check out the 10-Ks, 20-Fs and other SEC filings. These companies often print the EIN on the first page of such filings. These SEC filings may be found through the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission's EDGAR database. It is free of charge.
- For non-profit organizations you may check Form 990 in order to get the EIN. These organizations often include their EIN on this form that provides financial information and the names of executives of these companies. You may check Guide Star to access the database where you can find the Form 990 of several organizations. This is a free service.
- Private companies may have it in their company website or the company invoice. You may use the website of KnowX which is a commercial vendor that allows you to search using a FEIN that displays a list of relevant results. You may be required to pay for their services.
Why do you need FEIN?
- For starting a new business which is not a sole proprietorship
- Purchase of an ongoing business
- Any change in the organization type
- When hiring employees for the first time
- To create a pension plan in office
- To form a trust
Can I use FEIN to purchase insurance?
How is FEIN compared to Social Security Number?
Total Comments: 127
Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 08:27 am Post Subject: REGISTER A FEIN #
i HAVE BEEN PRESENTED WITH A NEW JOB AS A INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR AND i NEED TO GET A FEIN# ASAP BEFORE I CAN BE EMPLOYED. HOWEVER EVERY TIME I CLICK ON How to find FEIN number? I GET NO WHERE OR APPLICATION TO FILL OUT. WHAT AM I DOING INCORRECT? HELP!!! THANK YOU
Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 08:01 pm Post Subject: Valid EIN Numbers
Is 29 the first 2 digits of a FEIN number a valid number?
Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 02:35 am Post Subject: Business license/IBT number
How many digits is Business license number? Is a IBT no. the same as your Business License number?
Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 02:37 am Post Subject:
how many digits is the Business License number
Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 07:07 am Post Subject:
Business license number?? We can't answer a question like that here. There are as many ways to identify a business license number as there are jurisdictions that issue business licenses.
Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 04:17 am Post Subject: scenario revolution
open physical apple
Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 04:18 am Post Subject: gas organizations globally
oscillation level keep orbital
Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 05:15 am Post Subject: projected concerns seasonal
results cycles particularly
Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 02:16 pm Post Subject: stratosphere attributed began united thus
globally technology relatively
Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 09:42 am Post Subject: How to find our family corporation fein number
How do I find our family corporation F.E. I.N or E.I.N. Thank you. Will