What is a FEIN number?
How to apply for FEIN?
You may collect an SS-4 Form from the office of IRS or the Social Security Office, fill it out and send it to the office of IRS. There is no application fee. Make sure you send it through registered post to guarantee the safe delivery of your form. You can download PDF version of IRS SS-4 form from here.
IRS has launched their interview style application for FEIN where they ask you certain questions online and update their system based on the information that you provide them. There is no form to fill out and there is no lengthy process of waiting for the Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) either. If you are using their system of interview style application:
- You don't need to fill out an SS-4 form and send it to the IRS office anymore
- You don't have to get into the lengthy process of application for FEIN
- You must answer the online questionnaire provided by them
- IRS will then validate the data that you have provided
- You will receive your EIN number immediately after successful verification
IRS allows you to make an online application.
How to find FEIN number?
- For public companies you may check out the 10-Ks, 20-Fs and other SEC filings. These companies often print the EIN on the first page of such filings. These SEC filings may be found through the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission's EDGAR database. It is free of charge.
- For non-profit organizations you may check Form 990 in order to get the EIN. These organizations often include their EIN on this form that provides financial information and the names of executives of these companies. You may check Guide Star to access the database where you can find the Form 990 of several organizations. This is a free service.
- Private companies may have it in their company website or the company invoice. You may use the website of KnowX which is a commercial vendor that allows you to search using a FEIN that displays a list of relevant results. You may be required to pay for their services.
Why do you need FEIN?
- For starting a new business which is not a sole proprietorship
- Purchase of an ongoing business
- Any change in the organization type
- When hiring employees for the first time
- To create a pension plan in office
- To form a trust
Can I use FEIN to purchase insurance?
How is FEIN compared to Social Security Number?
Total Comments: 127
Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 05:02 pm Post Subject: How Can I change my Social Credit Number with EIN number
I registered an EIN number with my social credit number about 4 months ago, can I change it social credit number to my husband's social credit number?
Thanks for your help.
Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 04:34 pm Post Subject: FEIN Number
What if i have not hired employees by the date i submitted on my registration? will i still need to file tax forms>
Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 05:00 am Post Subject: Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) query
In 2008 we had a babysitter that we reported on our taxes. She now says she needs our FEIN # for unemployment benefits. My filed return doesn't seem to show any FEIN # and if I used my SS# instead, I'm not comfortable giving her that number, even though I want to help her. Any ideas on how I can help her?
Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 09:30 pm Post Subject: Tax number
I want to be able to go to wholesalers and not pay taxes. What form should I fill out?
Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 09:24 pm Post Subject: EIN
The IRS (SS4 Form, etc.) uses "EIN", but the IRS does not use "FEIN". Why do you use "FEIN" rather than "EIN"?
Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:48 pm Post Subject:
Can you obtain an ein number if you are not a us resident?
If yes, do you have to pay taxes?
Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 02:23 am Post Subject: summarizing peck pchild
stronger vibrancy alteration friend whistle unsafe ipria effron outputs epistemology pave
Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 09:02 am Post Subject: check federal employer identification number
how do i check the federal employer identification number by parties?
Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 05:39 pm Post Subject: employers tax id numbers
I need to locate an employers tax id numbers.I have 1 it is 11-3683996 I need the other one necessary to file Federal tax return.Employer name is Roadside Trailer Services 6501 St Clair Ave East St Louis,IL 62203 phone (618)394-1170 They will not EVER return my calls.Is the number I have the Federal number or the State of IL number?Please help! Thank You!!
Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 08:28 pm Post Subject: FEIN #
IS THERE A DIFFERANCE BETWEEN A FEIN# AND A EIN#?